Rules and Etiquette
Standard Golf Course Etiquette
Remember that you are on the golf course to have fun. That goes for others on the course, too. Courtesy and SAFETY are the main things to remember. For that to happen, here are some things to do ... and to not do ... during your round.
Twin Woods abides by U.S. Golf Association (USGA) rules. Here are some general guidelines that apply to all golf courses, including Twin Woods.
- Never hit more than one ball from a tee, on a fairway or on a green. The golf course isn't a driving range or a practice facility. (Twin Woods has a practice driving net and putting green for that purpose.)
- DO NOT PULL OR DRIVE ANY CART ON THE TEES, COLLARS/APRONS OR GREENS.
- Play the same ball until you putt out, unless you lose your ball.
- Limit your search for a ball to two minutes. If you lose your ball, drop another ball about where you think your first ball should have been. Take one penalty stroke.
- If your ball lands out of bounds see the restrictions section below and take one penalty stroke after following those instructions.
- If your ball lands in water and can't be retrieved, drop another ball about two feet from the spot the ball entered the water OR take the shot over. Take one penalty stroke.
Wave faster players through, especially if you and your group notice other players or groups waiting for more than a few minutes on the tee box for the hole you are playing. They have paid the same greens fee as you did.
- If you are playing by yourself and are having to wait behind a larger group, ask them if you can play through.
- Tee times are spaced at 10 minutes apart, so you should be able to comfortably finish every hole in 10-15 minutes without feeling rushed. That means each 9-hole round of golf should take less than two hours.
- Divots must be replaced.
- Level footprints and your divot in sand traps. Replace the rake with the tines in the trap and the handle on the grass.
- Repair ball marks on greens.
Twin Woods Course Rules
The course rules are posted beside the tee box on the first hole and on your scorecard. Click the photo at right to enlarge it. The highlights are:
- All golfers (including members) must sign in at the Pro Shop before starting play.
- You must start at a tee for hole #1, unless instructed otherwise.
- You are responsible for our own ball and what it hits ... not the course!
- Maximum of four golfers per group.
- Maximum of 18 holes per greens fee, except when you check into the Pro Shop after 3 p.m. when there is unlimited play.
- Do not play out of bounds (see restrictions below). EJECTION MAY RESULT.
- All golfers must carry their own bag and clubs. Rental clubs are available in the Pro Shop.
- Only golfers 18 years of age or older with a valid driver's license are permitted to drive a gas cart.
If nobody is in the Pro Shop when you arrive, insert your fee(s) in an envelope and put it in the door slot.
- Leave all carts next to the Pro Shop buiding when you finish your round.
- No alcoholic beverages are allowed on the golf course.
Six fairways have out-of-bounds restrictions (see below). This is for the SAFETY of everyone on the course.
If you are keeping score, the USGA rule is to take a one-stroke penalty for placing a second ball in-bounds, regardless of where the first ball went.
Limit your search for a lost or out-of-bounds ball to two (2) minutes.
If your ball lands out of bounds into another fairway, look for other golfers and quickly go into the other fairway to retrieve it. Walk straight toward your fairway and drop your ball about two feet in bounds, but no closer to the green than where your ball landed. Take one penalty stroke.
If your ball lands in the woods and can't be found or retrieved, drop another ball about two feet from the spot the ball entered the woods OR take the shot over. Take one penalty stroke.
If your ball lands in the road or across the road and can't be found or retrieved, drop another ball about two feet from the edge of the fairway, in the rough near the spot the ball left the fairway, OR take the shot over. Take one penalty stroke.
The following fairways have out-of-bounds restrictions (see the scorecard and the monuments at each tee):
#1 - To the left onto Orvilla Road and the rear of the green (School Road).
#2 - To the left into any residential yard and the rear of the green (School Road Park).
#3 - To the left onto fairway #4 (to the left of the white stakes) and at the rear of the green.
#4 - To the rear of the green (School Road Park)
#6 - To the right onto fairway #9 (to the left of the white stakes). (SAFETY FIRST).
#9 - To the left onto fairway #8 and the rear of the green.